The Amaz!ng Meeting (TAM) is the must-attend annual celebration of science, skepticism and critical thinking. People from all over the world come to TAM each year to share learning, laughs and the skeptical perspective with their fellow skeptics and a host of distinguished guest speakers including James Randi, Penn and Teller, Carol Tavris, Lawrence Krauss, Michael Shermer, Eugenie Scott, Jennifer Michael Hecht, Steve Novella and the SGU Rogues, Ophelia Benson, and dozens of others.
But don't just take our word for how amaz!ng TAM is (we're skeptics after all). Check out a panel from last year and decide for yourself. This vigorous discussion on "Our Future In Space" featuring Phil Plait, Pamela Gay, Lawrence Krauss, Bill Nye, and Neil deGrasse Tyson was one of the most memorable moments at TAM 2011. We invite you to enjoy the video of this great panel discussion and hope you'll join us for TAM 2012. »
People come to TAM to learn, to be entertained, and to enjoy the community of hundreds of like-minded skeptical people. At the heart of that is the TAM program, and we’re proud to say that we think this year's is one of the best programs we’ve ever had.
Musician and Geologic Podcast host George Hrab will be returning as Master of Ceremonies for TAM 2012.
Our good friends Penn & Teller will be delighting us with a special presentation on Saturday titled 38 years of Magic & BS: A Conversation with Penn & Teller.
We're also featuring as one of our themes a special focus on “Skepticism and The Future,” looking at skepticism of prophecy and fortunetelling, the intersection of skepticism and futurism (the "Singularity"), and the future of the skeptics movement itself.
TAM 2012 will feature the most speakers on the main program we've ever had, and will also feature panel discussions including:
- Fortunetelling for Fun and Profit
- Skepticism about the Future: Techno-optimism vs. Reality?
- How Not To Be a Paranormal Investigator
- The Truth About Alternative Medicine, and
- Skepticism and the Humanities.
The main program will also feature two live tapings of Skeptics Guide to the Universe, featuring Dr. Steve Novella and the Skeptic Rogues.
Just take a look at the complete list of speakers and the panelists, and see how truly AMAZ!NG they are! More will be added in the weeks and months ahead.
Our evening events are among the most talked-about and memorable aspects of The Amaz!ng Meeting. This year, evening events will include:
- Wait, Wait, Don't Fool Me | A skeptical news quiz completely unlike a certain NPR news quiz in every way. Well, some ways. Join host Brian Thompson and a panel of hilarious skeptical celebrity guests as they compete to see who knows the most about current events, pop culture, and terrible puns.
- A Carlin Home Companion | Deftly weaving her amusing yet poignant family stories with classic video footage of her father’s career and family memorabilia, Kelly Carlin, the only child of iconoclastic comedian George Carlin, takes the audience on a roller coaster ride of emotions and pulls back the curtain on their life together off stage. Join us for this unexpected, loving and revealing look at the man who constantly redefined himself in order to redefined 20th century comedy.
- Paul Provenza presents ¡SATIRISTAS! — Live in Concert | Paul Provenza, the celebrated comic and social critic, presents a cadre of provocateurs and proud comic voices targeting hypocrisy, media distortion and the instiutionalized ignorance infecting America. These skeptical comedians are distinguished by the savage bite of their wit, virtuosic command of irony and finely tuned bullshit detectors. Celebrating the spirit of the book of the same name, ¡SATIRISTAS! will chew the fat of traditional credulity and leave you wanting more.
- Penn Jillette’s Private Rock & Roll, Doughnut and Bacon Party 2 (and Friday the 13th Superstition Bash) | This really is Penn’s private party. He’s paying for everything and JREF has nothing to do with it. This party will be whatever Penn wants; it’s not a JREF event. Everyone at TAM is invited, and there is a suggested twenty dollar donation to attend, with proceeds going to the JREF.
Skepticism isn’t just something you think, its something you do!
This year, hands-on educational workshops and activist trainings will include:
- Investigative Methods for the Skeptic
- The Future of Skepticism Online: Crowd-sourced Activism
- Promoting Skepticism at the Local Level
- From Witch-burning to God-men: Supporting Skepticism around the World
- Astronomy for Skeptics: Investigating "Lights" in the Sky
- Skepticism 101
- Defending Science Based Medicine
- How to Tell the Future
- Advancing Skepticism in the Classroom
- Coalition Building for the Skeptical Activist
Want to see it all? The TAM Experience Package
Everyone who comes to TAM enjoys the "TAM experience," but for those who want to enjoy access to all regular events at The Amaz!ng Meeting, The TAM Experience Package is an upgraded registration option that includes the following: (a) regular conference registration; (b) the All Workshop Pass; (c) tickets to all TAM evening shows; and (d) special, reserved VIP seating in all main program sessions and evening shows. This is the perfect way to have a great time while supporting a great cause. (Note: The TAM Experience Package does not include tickets to the SGU fundraising dinner, nor the fundraising luncheon with James Randi and friends.)
Enjoy a private luncheon with James Randi and other VIPs from the program!
Don't miss the opportunity to have an intimate catered luncheon with James Randi and other selected TAM luminaries. As a fundraiser for the JREF, we are offering an exclusive luncheon limited to 20 people
Or how about Dinner with the cast of The Skeptics Guide to the Universe?
Join Dr. Steve Novella, and Jay, Bob, Evan and Rebecca for this fundraiser dinner, a portion of the proceeds of which go to support the show.
Enjoy all of this and much, much more!