The James Randi Educational Foundation is pleased to announce the extension of the JREF Credit Card Art Contest. The designs received so far have been so impressive that we are extending the contest. Back in November 2009 the JREF announced the release of the JREF Capital One Visa card, available to anyone interested in supporting the JREF through the use of a credit card.
The JREF Capital One Visa Card helps the JREF because the first purchase made on the card triggers a gift of $50 from Capital One to the JREF. And once the card is active, 1% of everything spent on the card goes to the JREF to help fund our valuable and much needed programs fighting woo-woo and helping to get critical thinking resources into the classroom. As an added bonus, 2% of groceries and gasoline purchases go to the JREF as well.
|Two samples of the artwork submitted for the contest so far.|
The JREF Capital One Visa card currently has one design with an iconic picture of James Randi emblazoned on the card. However, variety is the spice of life and Capital One allows the JREF to have up to three card designs for this Visa card, so we are launching an art contest to allow our dedicated and very talented supporters to come up with two new designs for the card.
Submit your artwork for the JREF Capital One Visa Card before November 30, 2010. We are asking for contest submissions of artwork to adorn the JREF Capital One Visa card. This is your chance to have a lasting impact on the JREF by designing a new iconic image for the card!
The winning design will be chosen by James “The Amazing” Randi and the design finalists will be posted on the JREF website (www.randi.org) so that JREF members can vote on which design they think should adorn the second card. At the end of the contest we’ll have two brand new JREF Capital One Visa card designs to choose from giving JREF members and the public a pair of new reasons to order a JREF Capital One Visa Card.
The winners will be announced on December 10, 2010.
- Recognition of designing one of the three JREF Capital One Visa credit card designs.
- First Prize winner gets a JREF Swag Bag (a collection of JREF Paraphernalia) plus a copy of An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural by James Randi.
- Second Prize winner gets a JREF Swag Bag (a collection of JREF Paraphernalia).
- Contest Start Date: April 1, 2010.
- Contest End Date: November 30, 2010.
- One entry per person.
- Contest is available to JREF supporters the world over, but the credit card is only available to US residents.
- Entries must be tasteful and are subject to disqualification by the JREF if the content is deemed to be unacceptable.
- Entries will be displayed on the JREF website with the name of the artist.
- Entry Parameters: The image parameters are 2 ½ inches by 3 ¼ inches.
- Note that the finished design will have the JREF Logo in the upper left corner, the Capital One logo in the upper right corner, and the VISA logo in the lower right corner. These logos are all added later and you do not have to worry about these other than to be aware that they will sit over those portions of the card as shown below.
- The JREF reserves the right to disqualify any entry.
- The first-place winning entry will be chosen at the sole discretion of the JREF and Mr. James Randi.
- The second place entry will be selected by a vote of registered JREF members and will be subject to the approval of the JREF.
- Prizes are subject to change without notice at the sole discretion of the JREF.
About the JREF Capital One Visa Card
Through a program from Capital One, you can earn $50 for the JREF with your first purchase. Subsequent purchases will earn the JREF 1% of sales, which may be tax deductible for US residents!
This is a great way to show your support without having to do anything other than switching your credit card.
Card benefits include:
- $50 donation to JREF with first purchase.
- 1% of all purchases donated to JREF (may be tax deductible)
- 2% of all gasoline and grocery purchases donated to JREF
- No annual fee
- JREF branded card or design your own!
- 24/7 Travel and emergency assistance, including roadside
- Rental car insurance
- Buyer's protection
The JREF thanks you for your support. Your efforts here help keep us strong and growing.
When you activate your card the message from Capital One will read that Capital One has made a $50 donation to the JREF.
Note: The JREF suggests that anyone applying for and using a JREF Capital One Visa Card use credit responsibly.