The James Randi Educational Foundation is pleased to announce the JREF Credit Card Art Contest. Back in November 2009 the JREF announced the release of the JREF Capital One Visa card, available to anyone interested in supporting the JREF through the use of a credit card.
The JREF Capital One Visa Card has been successful for the JREF with the first purchase made on the card triggering a gift of $50 from Capital One to the JREF. Once the card is active, 1% of everything spent on the card goes to the JREF to help fund our valuable and much needed programs fighting woo-woo and helping to get critical thinking resources into the classroom.
Between April 5, 2010 and May 15, 2010 we are asking for contest submissions of artwork to adorn the JREF Capital One Visa card. This is your chance to have a lasting impact on the JREF by designing a new iconic image for the card!
The winning design will be chosen by James “The Amazing” Randi and the card designs will be posted on the JREF website (www.randi.org) so that JREF members can vote on which design they think should adorn the second card. At the end of the contest we’ll have two brand new JREF Capital One Visa card designs to choose from giving JREF members and the public a pair of new reasons to order a JREF Capital One Visa Card.
- Recognition of designing one of the three JREF Capital One Visa credit card designs.
- First Prize winner gets a JREF Swag Bag (a collection of JREF Paraphernalia) plus a copy of An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural by James Randi.
- Second Prize winner gets a JREF Swag Bag (a collection of JREF Paraphernalia).
Submit your designs to: email@example.com
- Contest Start Date: April 1, 2010.
- Contest End Date: May 15, 2010.
- One entry per person.
- Contest is available to JREF supporters the world over, but the credit card is only available to US residents.
- Entries must be tasteful and are subject to disqualification by the JREF if the content is deemed to be unacceptable.
- Entries will be displayed on the JREF website with the name of the artist.
- Entry Parameters: The image parameters are 2 ½ inches by 3 ¼ inches.
- Note that the finished design will have the JREF Logo in the upper left corner, the Capital One logo in the upper right corner, and the VISA logo in the lower right corner. These logos are all added later and you do not have to worry about these other than to be aware that they will sit over those portions of the card as shown below (see Figure 1).
- The JREF reserves the right to disqualify any entry.
- The first-place winning entry will be chosen at the sole discretion of the JREF and Mr. James Randi.
- The second place entry will be selected by a vote of registered JREF members and will be subject to the approval of the JREF.
- Prizes are subject to change without notice at the sole discretion of the JREF.
About the JREF Capital One Visa Card
Through a program from CapitalOne, you can earn $50 for the JREF with your first purchase. Subsequent purchases will earn the JREF 1% of sales, which may be tax deductible for US residents!
This is a great way to show your support without having to do anything other than switching your credit card.
Card benefits include:
- $50 donation to JREF with first purchase.
- 1% of all purchases donated to JREF (may be tax deductible)
- 2% of all gasoline and grocery purchases donated to JREF
- No annual fee
- JREF branded card or design your own!
- 24/7 Travel and emergency assistance, including roadside
- Rental car insurance
- Buyer's protection
For more information and to apply, click this link.
The JREF thanks you for your support. Your efforts here help keep us strong and growing.
When you activate your card the message from Capital One will read that Capital One has made a $50 donation to the JREF.
Note: The JREF suggests that anyone applying for and using a JREF Capital One Visa Card use credit responsibly.